Effective Date: April 25, 2023
- use of open source code, documentation or specifications made available on GitHub, which are governed by the terms of the applicable open source license;
- pull requests, issues and any other interactions or features related to participation in open source projects on GitHub, which are governed by GitHub's terms and conditions; or
- use of any other Meta website, service or product, which are governed by the terms and conditions applicable to those offerings.
What Kinds of Information Do We Collect?
When you interact with us through our Services, we may collect or receive the following types of information:
Information you provide directly to us. For certain activities, we may collect the following types of information:
- Contact information, such as name, email address and contact details; and
- Other information you provide to us, such as when you send us correspondence or otherwise participate on the Services.
Information we collect automatically. Depending on the type of device you use and how you interact with us, we may also collect certain information automatically when you use our Services, such as:
- Device attributes, including information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
- Device operations, including information about operations performed on the Services as well as pages visited.
- Identifiers, including information such as unique identifiers, device IDs, and other identifiers, and Family Device IDs associated with the same device or account.
- Network and connections, information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, connection speed, information about other devices that are nearby or on your network, and Wi-Fi hotspots you connect to using our Services.
Information you provide to us through our app (where applicable). Some of our Services include the provision of an app. In such cases, we may receive certain video and text content that you choose to provide to us through our app. We may analyze this depending on the context and content in accordance with the purposes described below.
Integrations with other services from third parties. Some of our Services allow you to enable or log in via various online services (collectively, "Login Services"). By including these Login Services, we aim to make your online experiences richer and more personalized. When you add a Login Service account to our Services or log in to our Services using such an account, we may collect relevant information necessary to enable our Services to facilitate your login, such as your email address. We may also share your information with that Login Service to facilitate or enhance the delivery of that platform or our Services.
Social media features. Our Services may use social media features, such as the Facebook "like" button, the "Tweet" button and other sharing widgets ("Social Media Features"). You may be given the option by such Social Media Features to post information about your activities on a website to a profile page of yours that is provided by a third party social media network in order to share with others within your network. Social Media Features are either hosted by the respective social media network or hosted directly on our Websites. To the extent the Social Media Features are hosted by the respective social media network(s) and you click through to these from our Websites, the latter may receive information showing that you have visited our Websites. If you are logged in to your social media account, it is possible that the respective social media network can link your visit to our Websites with your social media profile. Your interactions with Social Media Features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies providing the relevant Social Media Features.
How Do We Use Information?
We will use the information described above for the purpose of operating and providing the Websites and our Services. Specifically, we will use the information for the following purposes:
- Provide, personalize and improve our Services. We use your information to provide the Websites and fulfill your requests for resources, services, and information; analyze content that you provide to us and provide suggestions for what is in such content; analyze the use of the Services and user data to understand, improve and operate the Services; and customize the content you see when you use the Services;
- Communicate with you. We use your email address to communicate with you about the Services and let you know about our terms and policies. If you subscribe to a newsletter, we will use your email address to send you such newsletter. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Meta does not knowingly collect or store information from children under the age of 13, unless permitted by law. We will delete any information we may have inadvertently received from a child under 13 upon notice. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to Meta through our Services please contact us.
We retain information relating to the Services until it is no longer necessary to serve the purposes for which it was collected, such as to provide the Services to you or improve the Services. Reasons we may retain some information for longer periods include:
- A legal request or obligation, including obligations of Meta Companies or to comply with applicable law;
- A governmental investigation;
- An investigation of possible violations of our terms or policies;
- To prevent harm;
- For safety, security and integrity purposes;
- To protect ourselves, including our rights, property or products;
- If it's needed in relation to a legal claim, complaint, litigation or regulatory proceedings.
Additional Information for United States Residents
If you are a United States resident, you can learn more about the consumer privacy rights that may be available to you by reviewing the United States Regional Privacy Notice.
Additional Information for Individuals in the European Region and the United Kingdom
Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Réunion, Romania, San Marino, Saint Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Vatican City and the UK sovereign bases in Cyprus (Akrotiri and Dhekelia).
If you live in the European Region, the data controller responsible for your information when you use the Websites is Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd. If you live in the United Kingdom, the data controller responsible for your information when you use the Websites is Meta Platforms, Inc.
Our legal basis for processing data. We collect, use and share data in the ways described above based on the following:
- Compliance with a legal obligation. We rely on this legal basis for processing data when the law requires it, including, for example, if there is a valid legal request for certain data.
Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd. will protect your data when it is transferred outside the European Region by implementing appropriate safeguards to protect your personal data, where required, such as using the European Commission's Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of personal data outside the EEA. Meta Platforms, Inc. will protect your data when it is transferred to countries outside of the United Kingdom by implementing appropriate safeguards to protect your personal data, where required, such as using the International Data Transfer Agreement or the International Data Transfer Addendum which have been approved by the UK Parliament.
Under the GDPR and UK GDPR, you have the right to data portability, right to access, right to rectify, and right to erase your data under certain circumstances. You also have the right to object to and restrict certain processing of your data. In evaluating an objection, we will evaluate several factors, including: reasonable user expectations; the benefits and risks to you and third parties; and other available means to achieve the same purpose that may be less invasive and do not require disproportional effort. Your objection will be upheld and we will cease processing your information, unless continued processing is based on compelling legitimate grounds or is needed for legal reasons.
Please note that to protect your information, we may need to verify your identity before processing your request. In some cases, we may need to collect additional information to verify your identity, such as a government issued ID. To exercise your rights under the GDPR or UK GDPR, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by mail at the address provided below.
Contact information for individuals in the European Region only
The data controller responsible for your information is Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd., which you can contact by writing to:
Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd.
ATTN: Privacy Operations
Dublin 4, D04 X2K5
Contact the Data Protection Officer for Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd.'s lead supervisory authority, the Irish Data Protection Commissioner, or your local supervisory authority.
Contact information for individuals in the United Kingdom only
If you are in the United Kingdom, the data controller responsible for your information is Meta Platforms, Inc., which you can contact online, or by writing to:
Meta Platforms, Inc.
ATTN: Privacy Operations
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Contact the Data Protection Officer for Meta Platforms, Inc. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK's Information Commissioner's Office.
Changes to this Policy
ATTN: Privacy Operations
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025